Thursday, May 07, 2009

Cards FTL.

So today I went out to try to find some sentiment cards. I swear it is impossible to find a birthday card that doesn't center around the theme of, "Haha you're old and ugly and your boobs sag! So you should drink a lot! Haha!"

Ugh. Blank cards are the way of the future, I guess. Also, in the entirety of the selection of cards I looked at today, I didn't find a single one for a step-parent. You would think that with 50% of marriages ending in divorce, there would be a bigger market for cards for non-traditional families. Fucking a.

And finally... Can we please knock it off with the Mother's Day cards that make light of the fact that women do essentially all of the emotional and domestic work in our country and get no payment or thanks for it? One day does not make up for it, especially if you get a card that explicitly tells her that you ignored everything she ever said to you or did for you. Saw too many of those, today, too.

I used to think blank cards were too much work. But now I think that getting a blank card and writing a couple of quick but heartfelt (and personalized, unique!) lines in it is much easier than spending a half hour staring at a wall of mass-produced clich├ęs in the vain hope of finding something even vaguely not-offensive.

2 comments:

Rana said...

Oh, god, the parents' day cards! I am still trying to decide which parent has it worse:

Mothers, who face an array of froo-froo gushily sentimental cards with floral designs, infantilized cards with pink glitter, or lame joke cards about the challenges of raising children and doing housework; or

Fathers, who are reduced down to their hobbies - golf, fishing, cars, sports - and crude behavior (fart jokes, walking around in their underwear, burping, etc.).

The stupid stereotypes, they burn.

(I've decided to make my own cards this year, so I can express my love for my parents as the people they are, not the stereotypes the greeting card companies are obsessed by.)

Llencelyn said...

Agreed, Rana.

Just quick and, I hope, gentle comment, though. I prefer that commenters not use words like "lame" as that reflects able-bodied privilege and marginalizes people whose bodies work differently than the accepted norm. Thank you.