I'm so angry, it's not even funny. I just read an article. Allow me to quote an excerpt:
"A federal appeals court has reversed a ruling that struck down Nebraska's same-sex marriage ban. ... Opponents of the ban 'are free to gather, express themselves, lobby, and generally participate in the political process however they see fit,' he said. 'Plaintiffs are free to petition state senators to place a constitutional amendment on the ballot. Plaintiffs are similarly free to begin an initiative process to place a constitutional amendment on the ballot, just as supporters ... did.'"
How, may I ask, is that fair? It's not! In any way, shape, or form. These crazy people who are so intent on banning same sex marriages are nuts! (Redundant, I know. Get over it.) They try to justify their behavior by claiming not to be violating any constitutionally-granted rights. I'm so frustrated I'm beyond words to describe how viciously self-centered these people are being.
What are they so worried about? Any human being should be allowed to marry any other human being of his or her choice. End of story. It is not the business of my government to tell me what person I may wed. Even if 90% of the voters in an area want a same sex marriage ban, they still have no reason to enact such a thing. It's not their business.
Solution proposal (not my own idea): Governments may no longer issue marriage licenses. They may issue a license for a civil union (or insert your non-marriage word here), allowing the purchasing couple all legal rights currently entailed in a marriage license. If a couple wants a "marriage," they can go to a church or something. The ruling power should not care about sexual orientation. Just like they should not care about skin color, or how many fingers someone has.
It's absolutely ridiculous.
Something I'd like to pass along:
The Top Ten Reasons Why Gay Marriage is Wrong
1) Homosexuality is not natural. Real people always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.
2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
3) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.
4) Heterosexual marriage has been around a long time and hasn’t changed at all; women are still property, blacks still aren’t supposed to marry whites.
5) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if homosexual marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Brittany Spears’ 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
6) Heterosexual marriages are valid because they produce children. Homosexual couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn’t be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren’t full yet, and the world needs more children.
7) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.
8) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That’s why we have only one religion in North America.
9) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That’s why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven’t adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.
Breakfast: Not Sexier than Before, but Funnier than Ever
36 minutes ago